Employment Law Compliance
What does it cost to be out of compliance?
Many businesses treat their employees like family. However, the occasional unhappy employee—who feels as if their boss has mistreated them—will sue. According to one study, almost one in five small businesses face employee lawsuits, which can cost as much as $125,000 to defend. California companies are 40% more likely to face employee lawsuits than the rest of nation. For those cases that go to trial, 1 in 4 result in a judgment of up to $500,000.
Employees who feel unfairly disciplined or wrongfully terminated can respond with a lawsuit, sometimes for revenge or money or both. They can feel angry and want to fight their former employer, or perhaps they wish to address how they feel wronged by a manager. Here are some common types of employment lawsuits:
- Workplace harassment or hostile work environments
- Wrongful termination
- Wage and salary violations
- Violation of EEOC federal workplace discrimination laws, including bias against age, disability, religion, gender, retaliation, sexual orientation, pregnancy, etc.; for example, in 2018, the SLS Hotel settled a discrimination lawsuit for $2.5 million
- Employee disability claims
- On-the-job injuries
Lawsuits often have their basis in a violation of law. It can be hard to keep up-to-date with state and federal laws, because they change all the time. There are new court decisions, and they often change what you can and cannot do. These changes dramatically impact how you manage your employees and your business. We can help with that!
AccompliCenter offers a complete range of services to help your organization meet compliance standards, and stay compliant thereafter. You can opt for human resources consulting on an hourly basis, or you can get even better value through an affordable, comprehensive HR Subscription.
Our areas of compliance-related focus include the following (please contact us for specifics on each):
- Adherence to relevant Federal and State Laws, specifically California
- Employee Conflicts and Disputes
- Employee Disabilities
- Employee File Management
- Employee Notices & Communication
- Employee Training
- FMLA Administration
- Harassment Prevention
- I-9 Forms
- Management Coaching, Testing, Development
- Negligent Hiring and Background Checking
- Research on all HR law questions
- Safety and Risk Management
- Time Off, including mandatory sick time and other leaves
- Wage and Hour Law Compliance
Businesses looking to protect their future and limit liability must build their processes around HR compliance practices, limiting risks as well as allowing the company to be better prepared for an audit.
Let us be the footprint your business needs as it grows. We are your mail room, conference room, HR office, and print center. We’ll help you Accomplish Your Business.